Saturday, March 3, 2012

No Boat, No problem! Lake Casitas 03/02/2012

Decided to leave the Pero Aquatico at home because OG triple OG Pookie said it would be windy...whatever, I'm game for whatevers.

Started off the morning at the Wadleigh Arm T-Dock...after an hour of chucking almost every color including the kitchen sink, Pookie hooks up and lands this beauty...a 3-3.5 pounder...not bad...looks like it's shaping up to be a nice day afterall
 After casting for 30 more minutes without another bite, we decided to bail to Crawdad Point...after 20 minutes, Pookie hooks up again and lands a peewee sized bass, about a 1.5 pounder. I've been observing what he's been using and decided to switch up. After dialing in, I landed a buck-sized male...my first bass of 2012...can you believe that?!!!??!!! I guess better late than never...
 About 20 minutes later, Pookie rolls out to try the other side of the buoy line. Another 20 minutes goes by...I'm casting in every direction imaginable...Pookie decides to rejoin me and on his very first cast...and wouldn't you believe it? He hooks up yet again!





 After quite a lengthy battle, a 4+ pounder comes aboard...not bad Pookie...

 We gave it another 10 minutes and decided to give the Coyote T-Dock a shot...I also get a call from Ryan with the "Word on da Street"...he says the Bass have been chewing on the FX People's colored worm lately. So I made the switch and threw that color. On the 3rd cast, I nailed a 2 pounder....damn Ryan, you know your shit and you ain't even at the lake!

 We called it a day after the winds crept up on us...5 Bass today from 6:30am-12PM was not bad at all...

Observations:
Today's weather was beautiful, peaked at around 65 degrees I believe. Water temps were still in the 50's it seemed like. Water clarity was anywhere from almost clear to stained depending on location. 
Fish #1 came off a large flat off Orchard Point.
Fish #'s 2-4 came off a depression accompanied by a gradual point. 
Fish #5 came off a rocky slope


The hot ticket today was undoubtedly the Texas Rigged worm...Pookie added to this mystique by using the bigger profiled "Fat" styled worm...the fish seemed to want the larger looking worms fished directly on the bottom. The color was Oxblood Light with Red Flake...in fact, the first 4 fish were caught using this color...
The dropshot technique today, for the most part, was ineffective. This is unusual because it seems to always catch the fish. This rig only accounted for one fish, the last one of the day. The color was the People's Worm in the FX variation. Who knows, this may have been the best pattern had I employed it sooner in the day...The FX People's was a color I hadn't tried all day until Ryan called...strange how this works...
The fish caught today were definitely transitioning to the pre-spawning stage. The fish were milling around the submerged brush piles at Crawdad Point today, as evidence of the 3 we caught in a short span. I'll be keying in on this and will be studying my map when I take the sled out next time. More and more Bass have been caught each passing day since my last outing according to multiple sources. It's about to go wide guys...just wait a tiny bit longer. 


All in all, I always have and always will enjoy the company of Pookie...he deserved all the praises today as he laid waste to me both in quantity and quality...All Fish were released to fight another day....


See you guys next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment